Oral Pathology & Microbiology
The specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology is concerned with diagnosis and study of the causes and effects of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial region. It represents the combination of basic sciences and clinical dentistry. Established in 2004, the department is located on the fifth floor of the institute. The aim of our department is to achieve academic excellence in the discipline of Oral Pathology and Microbiology and to compassionately serve the community through qualitative diagnostic interventions. In our department, we provide effective service through diagnostic procedures like hematology, cytopathology, histopathology and oncopathology. In addition to basic programs of Dentistry, we have got more feathers in our cap to offer higher educational programs like MUHS approved FELLOWSHIP (Forensic Odontology) and PhD (Oral Pathology& Microbiology) programs.
Programmes with intake capacity:
BDS:I BDS –Oral anatomy and histology-100 students
III BDS –Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and Oral Microbiology-100 students
MDS:–Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and Oral Microbiology-03 students
Fellowship:Forensic Odontology -03 Students
Student Activities: Apart from their academic enrichment, students are motivated for participations in various national and international scientific conferences. Students take up scientific research projects and publish the same in indexed journals We ensure active participation of students in allied activities like value added programs, extension and outreach activity which is helpful in enhancing their subject knowledge and its practical application. Outcome of such student-centric holistic activities resulted in periodic achievements in academic (University subject toppers) and scientific forums (Awards in paper and poster).
Department Activities: Department faculty members are actively indulged in various scientific research projects. Faculty members guide undergraduate and postgraduate students in scientific research activity. Several outreach and extension activities like blood donation camps, oral cancer screening camps, anti-tobacco drives are routinely organized by our department.
Under graduate students and Postgraduate students:
Distinction and Subject toppers in university exams
Best paper and poster presentation prizes in scientific conferences.
Faculty achievement: Numerous research and review articles are being published every year in indexed national and international journals. Faculty members keep themselves updated by attending conferences, scientific workshops. They have various awards to their credit for paper presentations and academic excellence at national forums. Few faculty members are pursuing Phd whereas professors from our department are recognized PhD guides.
Dr. Shilpa C. Patel, Professor & HOD
- BDS:GDC&H AHEMEDABAD,GUJARAT UNIVERSITY,1991
- MDS:GDC&H AHEMEDABAD,GUJARAT UNIVERSITY,1994
- UG:25 YEARS
- PG:10 YEARS
- Life membership in IOAMP
Dr Jigna Pathak, Professor
Best Teacher Award in 2016 nominated by the students
- BDS:D Y Patil Dental College, Navi Mumbai,Mumbai University,1998
- MDS:Nair Hospital Dental College,Mumbai,Mumbai University,2001
- PG CERTIFICATION COURSE IN FORENSIC SCIENCE AND FORENSIC ODONTOLOGY:International Forensic Science (IFS) Institute, Pune, 2020
Dr. Niharika Swain, Reader
"Best specialist of the year" in the category of Oral Pathologists by FAMDENT in 2015.
- BDS:Dental Wing, SCB Medical College and Hospital, Cuttack,Utkal University, Bhubaneswar,2002.
- MDS:Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College & Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal University of Health Sciences,2010.
- PhD:MGM School of Biotechnology, MGM Institute of Health Sciences, Ongoing.
- Best paper presentation: International Conference on “Advances in Biological Sciences” on September 19, 2020
- Gyan Scholarship award in International NGBT Conference, Mumbai. 2019
- "Best specialist of the year" in the category of Oral Pathologists by FAMDENT in 2015.
- Life membership in IOAMP
Dr Kamlesh Dekate, Associate Professor
- BDS:GDC, Mumabi University,2000
- MDS:GDC, Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University,2006
- PhD:MGM School of Biotechnology, MGM IHS, Ongoing
- Member in IDA
Dr. Rashmi M. Hosalkar, Lecturer
- BDS:KLE’s Institute of Dental Sciences,Belgaum, Karnataka,2007
- MDS:MGM’s Dental College & Hospital, Kamothe, Navi Mumbai,2015
- Lifetime membership in IAOMP Member in IDA
- Secured award for Best Specialist of the Year - Oral Pathology at Famdent Excellence Dental Awards 2016 held in Mumbai in December.
- Secured first position as co –author in paper presentation on “Actinomycosis: A rear insight in not so rare lesions” in XXII National Conference oraganised by Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologist, November 2013 held in Mumbai.
- Secured first position and presented poster on Aero Therapy in XI Scientific Convention, August 2008 oraganised by KLE’s Institute of Dental Sciences, Belgaum.
- Secured highest marks in Subject of Conservative Dentistry &Endodontics in Final Year BDS Examination held by RGUHS in 2007 among fellow colleagues.
Dr. Shraddha Walekar Ghaisas, Lecturer
- BDS:SMBT Dental College,MUHS,2010
- MDS:SMBT Dental College,MUHS,2016
- Membership in IOAMP
- IDA member
Awards / Honors Received:
- Best paper presentation award at National Triple O Symposium 2014, Udaipur.
Dr Yogita Penkar, Tutor