A Mentor provides support, a sounding board, knowledge, encouragement, guidance, and constructive feedback to the mentee by developing a genuine interest in the growth of their abilities and talents.
A Mentee actively seeks support and guidance in their career and professional development from an experienced planner. A mentee always has ultimate responsibility for their career and professional development.
The relationship is based upon encouragement, constructive feedback, openness, mutual trust, respect and a willingness to learn and share.
Role of Mentor
- Contribute to the development of the future of the planning profession; > Improve management, leadership and communication skills;
- Expand professional networks;
- Transfer of skills and knowledge;
- Recognition of skills, knowledge and commitment the profession;
- Increase awareness of current theories and ideals taught in university;
- Reflection on current projects and office practice;
- Personal satisfaction from making a contribution to the industry;
Role of Mentee
- Develop communication skills and knowledge;
- Build professional networks and a support system;
- Increase confidence and self-esteem;
- Discuss and learn theoretical and practical issues with a planner;
- A confidential opportunity to discuss workplace/University issues;
- Receive support and guidance to achieve career goals;