Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is an advanced surgical specialty which is a bridge between surgery and dentistry. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (OMS’s) perform a wide range of procedures starting from surgical removal of impacted (embedded) teeth, dental implants and removal of cysts of the jaws to more complex procedures such as management of benign tumors of jaws, fractures of the face and skull, temporomandibular joint disorders, oral cancer surgery and cosmetic and reconstructive surgery for congenital and acquired facial deformities. Department aims to be a centre of excellence, imparting the state of the art comprehensive surgical management to patients and uplifting academic and research standards to meet the same.
Highlights of the Department
- A Cleft & Craniofacial Surgery unit, in association with INGA Foundation and Operation Smile in which hundreds of cleft lip, palate and craniofacial deformities are completely free of cost.
- An oral malignancy centre which includes management of all surgical aspects of oral cancer surgery.
- State of art surgical Micro-scope to perform micro-vascular free tissue transfer in patients requiring reconstruction of complex defects of the face especially after removal of benign and malignant tumours.
- Fully equipped OT’s with latest equipment including Fibre-optic Bronchoscope and Intra-oral Endoscope and various cranio-maxillary fixation sets for management of complex facial trauma cases.
- A CO2 laser for cosmetic and laser surgical procedures.
- 24/7 emergency services in casualty for Road Traffic accident cases.
- Ward Facilities for in-patient admissions.
- Separate Minor OT, PG and UG Clinics for Routine procedures under local anaesthesia
- Departmental Library which boasts 153 books and various other journals.
- Museum, Seminar rooms and counselling rooms for academic development.
Dr. J. N. Khanna, M.D.S., Professor Emeritus
Dr. J. N. Khanna is considered a pioneer in this specialty and has tirelessly contributed to its growth since 5 decades. He was the Past President of Asian Assoc. of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery & AOMSI. He is member, Education committee Asian Assoc. of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. He is past Dean of faculty Dr. D. Y. Patil deemed university and member board of studies, Mumbai University. He has numerous publications to his credit and has delivered key note lectures at various national and international conferences. He has been the organizing chairperson of various International & National workshops. He has developed indigenous bone plating system and condylar prosthesis.
Dr. Srivalli Natarajan, M.D.S, Professor & HOD
- BDS:GDC Nagpur, Nagpur university, 1986
- MDS:GDC Nagpur, Nagpur university, 1993
- Member of International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Association of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India.
- Member of Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons of India.
- Member of the Association of Medical Consultants of Mumbai.
- Indian Dental Association
Awards / Honors Received:
- Colgate Gold Medal 1991 - In recognition of the performance in B.D.S degree examination, from the University of Madras.
- Dr. Mathias Gold Medal - Best outgoing student in the B.D.S Program, awarded by Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital, Madras.
- Dr. KokaAnjan endowment prize - for having secured the highest marks in Operative Dental Surgery in the final year B.D.S program
Dr. Jyotsna Galinde, M.D.S., Professor
- BDS:Government Dental College, Bombay University, 1973
- MDS:Government Dental College, Bombay University, 1978
Awards / Honors Received
- University Merit Scholarship by Bombay University during M. D. S. course
- National Merit Scholarship Award by the Government of India.
- “Outstanding Teacher” for rendering meritorious services in the department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery by Nair Hospital & Dental College, Mumbai.
- Executive member and Convention Secretary of Indian Dental Association, Bombay Branch during the year 1978-79.
- Vice President of Rotaract Club of Government Dental College & Hospital, Bombay during the year 1979-80.
- Honorary Joint Secretary and Camp Convener of Indian Dental Association, Bombay Branch during the year 1979-80.
- Executive member and Camp Convener of Indian Dental Association, Maharashtra State Branch during the year 1980-81.
- Executive member and Camp Convener of Indian Dental Association, Bombay Branch during the year 1980-81.
- Life Member of Association of Oral Surgeons of India since 1975.
- Member of International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- Member of International Association of Dental Research.
- Life Member of Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai.
Dr. Usha Asnani, MDS, Professor
- BDS:GDC Nagpur, Nagpur University, 1986
- MDS:GDC Nagpur, Nagpur University, 1993
Awards / Honors Received
- IDA – Best Overaall Performance in 1986 Final BDS , GDC Nagpur
- Long Service & Decicaction Award as a teacher in MGM in 2017
- AOMSI-LIFE TIME MEMBER
- MSC- AOMSI – LIFE TIME MEMBER
- INDIAN ACADEMY OF ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGEONS
Dr. Sushrut Vaidya, MDS, Professor
- BDS:Dr D Y Patil Dental College, Mumbai University,2001
- MDS:Dr D Y Patil Dental College, Pad Dr D Y Patil University,1993
Dr. Sunil Sidana, MDS, Professor
- BDS:GDC Mumbai, University of Mumbai, 1996
- MDS:GDC Bangalore, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, 2000
- MFDS RCS2006
- Life Member Indian Dental Association
- Life Member Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India
- Member Royal College of Surgeons of England
Awards / Honors Received
- Global Online Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in association with IFHNOS in 2016
Dr. Sagar Vaishampayan, , Reader
Dr. Adil Gandevivala, MDS, Reader
- BDS:M.G.M. Dental College & Hospital, MUHS, Nashik, 2007
- MDS:M.A. Rangoonwala College of Dental Sciences & Research Center, MUHS, Nashik, 2012
- Association of Medical Consultants (AMC)
- Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (AOMSI)
- Indian Dental Association (IDA)
Dr. Gaurav Deshpande, , Reader
Dr. Suraj Ahuja, MDS, Lecturer
- BDS:YMT Dental College & Hospital, MUHS, 2011
- MDS:MGM Dental College & Hospital, MUHS, 2017
- Life Member Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India No.2969.
- Life Member Indian Academy Of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- International Association Of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons Member ID- 50950943
Awards / Honors Received
- Presented a paper titled, “Caries Risk Assessment” At World Dental Conference 2009.
- Presented Paper & Poster On “Atraumatic Gingival Retraction” At Scientific Rendezvous Nair Hospital 2012.
- Presented a paper titled “Perioperative management of diabetic patients in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery” at PG Convention, AOMSI, Maharashtra State Chapter conducted by SPDC Wardha on 19th -21st Sept 2014.
- Presented a poster titled “Difficulty airway” at 39th National Conference of association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons of India at Goa on 14th-16th Nov 2014.
- Presented a poster titled “Difficulty in airway management” at the Scientific Event Organized by MaGnuM, MGM Dental College & Hospital on 19th Jan 2015
- Presented a paper titled “Rhinocerebral Mucormycosis” in 2nd Annual conference Maharashtra State Chapter – AOMSI held on 6th-8th Aug 2015
- Presented a paper titled “Rhinocerebral Mucormycosis”at 7th International Workshop on “Obstructive Sleep Apnea”, MGM Dental College & Hospital 17th, 18th November 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Sublingual epidermoid cyst” at Scientific Session of MaGnuM 2016, MGM DCH, Kamothe, Jan 2016
- Presented a paper titled “Unicystic Ameloblastoma- A clinical dilemma” at the 8th Nation Workshop on Maxillofacial Tumors & Facial Aesthetic Surgery, MGM Dental College & Hospital on 17th Dec2016.
- Presented a paper titled “Clinical Experience With 3-Dimensional Delta Plate For Transoral Endoscopic-Assisted Osteosynthesis Of Condylar Fractures” at 21st National Workshop on Evidence-based Maxillofacial Surgery organized by Hitkarni Dental College & Hospital & Jabalpur Hospital 2nd – 5th Feb 2017
Dr. Abhishek Dutta, MDS, Lecturer
- BDS:Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, Manipal University, 2012
- MDS:Vokkaligara Sangha Dental College & Hospital , Bangalore, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Karnataka, 2016
- Member of Indian Dental Association(IDA)
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
- Member of Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery(AOMSI)
Honors / Awards Received:
- Secured 1st Rank in the subject of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in BDS final exam in Manipal University
- Secured 13th Rank in Post Graduate Entrance Exam (Karnataka State Entrance Examination KCET)
- Sports : Represented MCODS, MANIPAL at Intercollege And Inter University Level in:
- Gold medal in 1500 meters, 800 meters and relay (4 *100) in 2008,2009,2010,2011
- Silver and bronze medal in various other field and track events.
Dr. Dr Sneha Naware, MDS, Lecturer
- BDS:ACPM Dental college , Dhule, MUHS, Nashik, 2011
- MDS:MGM Dental College, kamothe, MUHS, Nashik, 2017
Dr. Chinmay Rao, MDS, Lecturer
- BDS:MGM Dental College and Hospital, Navi Mumbai,2010
- MDS:VSPMs Dental College and Research Centre, Nagpur,2016
- Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India
Founder member of the Facial Surgical Skills Lab (FSSL).
Conducted multiple State and National level Maxillofacial Surgical Skills competitions over the span of almost half a decade.
Award & Honors Received
- Awarded the “Dr. I C Dhudhani Gold medal” by Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik Summer 2016.
- Dental and Surgical Extraction of teeth
- Removal of Impacted Wisdom Teeth.
- Osseointegrated Dental Implants
- Biopsy (Laser/Excision/Incision)
- Pre-Prosthetic Surgery
- Other Minor Oral Surgical Procedures (Cyst enucleation, Apicoectomy)
- Maxillofacial Trauma
- Benign and Malignant Tumors of jaws oral cavity and salivary glands
- Oral Cancer Surgery
- Cleft Lip, Palate and Congenital Craniofacial deformities
- TMJ Surgery
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Cosmetic Facial Surgery