Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry
The DEPARTMENT OF PEDODONTICS, MGM Dental College & Hospital, is established in 2004. The Department is responsible for teaching of Pediatric Dentistry. The pre-doctoral programme is introduced to students during the third year BDS continued in forth year BDS and mandatory 1 year internship.
The basic course is structured in the form of basic anatomy, growth & development, cariology, research methodology, preventive and interceptive orthodontics, child psychology and preventive dentistry in 3rd and 4th year BDS.
Clinical training pertaining to behavior management of children as well as preventive, interceptive & corrective measures are carried out during 3rd year and 4th year curriculum. This includes oral prophylaxis, fluoride application, demonstration of oral hygiene measures, preventive resin restoration, atraumatic restorations, treatment of dental caries, vital & non-vital pulp therapies and extraction.
Internship programme allows assisting in management of traumatic injuries, space management, oral habit corrections, and minor orthodontic tooth movement. Children with special health care needs are given special emphasis in the department under the able guidance of department staff.
- To be a department meeting International standards pertaining to academics and clinical therapeutics.
- To provide state of art treatment facilities and newer innovative techniques to our patients.
- To excel in field of clinical and epidemiological research.
- To render primary and comprehensive, preventive and therapeutic oral health care to children from infancy through adolescence including those with special care needs.
- To contribute and create awareness in community through endeavors aimed at academic and clinical excellence.
- To provide necessary impetus for clinical research in Pedodontics.
- To establish high standards for teaching and education.
- To instill clear knowledge of the subject in students and pave them towards being a competent professional.
- To expand horizons and be update with recent advances in pedodontics.
Dr. Shrirang Sevekar, Prof & Head
- BDS:PRIDE, Loni, Pune, 2002
- MDS:Bapuji Dental College & Hospital, Davangere, RGUHS, 2006
Dr. Jha Mihir Kumar Nawal, Sr. Lecturer
- BDS:PDUDC dental college and hospital, Solapur, MUHS, Nashik,2006-07
- MDS:Bapuji dental college and hospital, Davangere, RGUHS, Bangalore,2011
- Others:ADL CERTIFICATE COURSE, 2014
- INDIAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION
Dr. Ashwini Avanti, Tutor
- BDS:PMNM Dental College and Hospital, Bagalkot, RGUHS University,2011
- MDS:PMNM Dental College and Hospital, Bagalkot, RGUHS University,2015
- INDIAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION
Dr. Varsha Patel, Tutor
- BDS:GDC MUMBAI, Bombay University,1999
Dr. Sujata Hirave, Tutor
- BDS:Government Dental College,Mumbai,2000
Prof. Dr. Shobha Deshpande, Professor Emiritus
- BDS:Nair Dental college and hospital,Mumbai,1972
- MDS:Nair Dental college and hospital,Mumbai,1986
STAINLESS STEEL CROWN:
SPACE MAINTAINERS :
REMOVABLE PARTIAL DENTURE:
MINOR ORAL SURGICAL PROCEDURES:
INHALATION SEDATION DENTISTRY:
DENTAL REHABILATION UNDER GENERAL ANESTHESIA:
The Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry is very proactive in celebrating two days of significance every year, especially when pediatric patients are concerned. Every year Children’s Day (14 th November) and Christmas Day (25 th December) are celebrated with lot of fun and enjoyment either in the Department or in one of the many childcare homes associated with the College. The aim of these celebrations is educate the children and their parents/ caretakers regarding the importance of sound oral hygiene measures with significant attention to preventive dentistry.
Department is slso committed at organizing many camps with the NSS (national service scheme) unit of the college all year round.
Department a unique exclusive Pediatric dental unit at MGM School,Nerul premises exclusively for the students of the school. The dental unit has the responsibility to conduct dental examination and performs routine preventive and therapeutic treatment to the school children with prior consent from parents and school authorities. One staff member and 2 interns are always stationed at the center to cater to the dental and oral healthcare needs of these students throughout the year.